Sunday 20 November 2016

What makes you so magical? #BlackGirlMagic#

So what makes you so magical black girl?

Well, first of all, look at this ebony skin. Come on, it doesn't get more magical than this?

Its my hair, like a plant, it grows to the sun!

I know how to please...

Black drinks the sun and draws all colors to it. Isnt that magical?

I'm getting my fourth degree OK, a second MSc degree,  despite the fact that I grew up in one of the worst slums in South Africa, went to a fucked up high school but still managed to pass my matric with Merit, raised by a mother who was sewing clothes and selling them on the streets to feed me, and a dad who couldn't be there for me. Because when I asked him why he disappeared, he told me of the ''hard knock life'' no opportunities and trying to survive, and still trying to survive. Should I tell you of how I bumped into him and he couldn't even recognize me? ''Baba, it me Zoe, ingane ka Bonisiwe'', I had to remind him. Wait, my own father didn't recognize me, how fucked up is that? Well, if you hadn't seen the man since you were young and only 2 or 3 times when you were a teenage years, and he promised to buy you a school bag but you never saw him again, of-course hes not going to recognize you. 

You see, stay is a very sensitive word, we wear who left and who stayed in our skin forever. Couldn't he have realized that?

See, I could be here all day and tell you my story, my parents story, my grandparents and  forefathers stories, what we have survived... for you to see why we are so magical...








No comments:

Post a Comment